There are now all kinds of PSP-formatted comics and 'zines out there -- some of them special one-shot issues, and others ongoing publications. Why not take advantage of the PSP's ability to read them on the go? Read comics and 'zines on the PSP is as easy as viewing photos. In fact, the process is almost identical, except comics and 'zines usually have text to go with the pictures. Learn one, and you'll be able to do the other, too.
Time Required: depends on the comic book or zine
- Find a comic or zine you want to read. Check our 'Zines and Comics links for places to find them.
- Download the 'zine or comic to your computer. Depending on the 'zine you may need to extract the file(s) (.zip and .rar files need to be extracted using a program like WinZip or WinRar). You should end up with a folder containing a series of .jpg images (or some other image file type compatible with PSP).
- Make sure there is a memory stick with sufficient memory on it inserted into the PSP and connect your PSP to your computer with a USB cable and set the PSP to USB mode (for more details on this process see this tutorial).
- Use Windows Explorer (for PC) or Finder (for Mac) to drag and drop the file folder containing the comic/'zine into the "PHOTO" (or "PICTURE") folder on the PSP's memory stick (see the same tutorial linked above for more specific details on how to do this).
- Disconnect the PSP from the computer (remember to use "safely remove hardware" for PC or "eject" for Mac to safely disconnect before unplugging the USB cable -- there is more on that in the above-linked tutorial).
- To read the 'zine or comic, scroll to the "Photo" menu and press X. You'll see a list of the folders stored under "PHOTO" on the memory stick. Scroll to the folder containing the 'zine or comic you want to read and press X. Press X again to open the first image which will be the first page of the 'zine.
- Many comics and 'zines will already be formatted to fit perfectly on the PSP screen and can be read as-is. For others you may need to rotate, zoom, and scroll the page to read it. Press the triangle button for a menu and use the arrow keys to select the action. You can also zoom in and out by holding the square button and using the analog nub. Pressing square once (without holding) lets you use the analog nub to pan around the image.
- Go to the next page of the 'zine or comic by pressing the right shoulder button (pressing the left shoulder button takes you back to the previous image).
- And that's it. Press the circle button to go back to the index when you're done.
- Image formats compatible with the PSP are jpeg, tiff, gif, png and bmp (for firmware version 2.0 or higher).
- Play around with the settings in the menu that comes up when you press triangle while viewing an image to see what works best for you. Some comics are easier to view than others, so don't give up entirely if the one you chose is difficult to read on PSP.
- square (hold) analog = zoom
square (press and release) analog = pan
triangle = view menu
circle = go back to previous menu
R shoulder = next page/image
L shoulder = previous page/image
What You Need
- a PSP
- a computer
- a Memory Stick Duo or Pro Duo
- a USB cable with a Mini-B connector on one end
- PSP-compatible comic book file(s)